June 27, 2023
For Immediate Release
Mahoning County, Ohio – Mahoning County Auditor Ralph T. Meacham is announcing the tentative timeline for the 2023 Mahoning County Property Value Reappraisal.
Ohio law requires all county Auditors to reappraise each parcel in their county every six years. This reappraisal process involves an “on-foot or drive by” inspection of the exterior of properties to obtain accurate information regarding buildings and homes in Mahoning County. The information obtained through these inspections combined with sales data will be used in determining individual appraisal values for taxation purposes.
Due to the anticipated increases in appraised values, Auditor Meacham wants taxpayers to be aware of the timeline of the reappraisal process as well as the filing period for appeals of their new value.
2023 Tentative Reappraisal Timeline
- June –Auditor completes the reappraisal of the 164,000 parcels in Mahoning County using property records, mapping, aerial photographs, field reviews, building permits, and actual sales data for the last three years.
- July - Auditor submits tentative values to the State for review and approval.
- August - State approves tentative values. Auditor releases new values on the County Auditor’s website and activates the reappraisal hotline.
- September/October - Auditor holds virtual informal hearings for taxpayers with appraisers to discuss the new market value. Instructions for scheduling a virtual hearing will be posted on the Auditor’s website.
- October/November - State gives final value approval of revaluation, new construction, demolition and splits and plats.
- December/January - Auditor submits tax levies to the State for tax rate calculations.
- January - State sends tax rates to the Auditor who then calculates property taxes. New property taxes are released on the Auditor’s website. Formal Board of Revision (BOR) appeal filing period opens on January 2, 2024.
- March/April – Board of Revision appeal filing period closes March 31st. Property taxes are typically due in March.
Auditor Meacham highly encourages taxpayers to review their new value, property sketch and characteristics by visiting the website at auditor.mahoningcountyoh.gov. Taxpayers can then give feedback by calling the reappraisal hotline or by scheduling a virtual informal hearing when available.
Please continue to check the website for press releases and updated information regarding how to view the new values, schedule informal hearings, and access to the reappraisal hotline.