2017 Children's Mental Health Circle of Friends Foundation
Crystal Heart Award is presented to
Mahoning County Juvenile Court Judge
This year's award is presented to Judge Dellick in recognition of both her 18+ years as J.J.C. Judge and her outstanding leadership in addressing, and providing for, the mental health needs of children and teens who become involved in the Juvenile Justice Center. It also recognizes her community based education and delinquency prevention initiatives.
Her voice at the local, state and national levels, stressing the need of the judicial system to understand and respond to the complex and multiple contributors to the poor decisions made by juveniles that result in involvement in the criminal justice system is heard. It is a voice that has gained her the respect of countless peers and government officials.
Among the many accomplishments and programs Judge Dellick has been responsible for are included:
- Collaborations with local organizations
- Providing in court drug abuse and mental health counseling
- Implementing programs and specialty dockets, including drug court, re-entry court, sex offender, family dependency, education, mental health and truancy dockets
- Starting a high school for expelled and dropped-out students that services all Mahoning County Sex offender specific counseling, parenting programming, therapeutic medication management
- A community service program where students receive compensation that is issued to victims of crime
- She has aided in the research and publication of articles addressing mental health
- She has headed a School Initiative Conference on the education expelled and dropped-out students
- She has assisted in writing the curriculum for the Detention Working Training protocol
- She has participated in juvenile competency and detention rules and regulation development and testified before the Ohio Senate
- She has been involved as a Board Advisor for the community initiative to reduce violence
- She has been a Family and Children First Council member
- Past President of the Ohio Association of Juvenile Court Judges and past member of United Way of Youngstown
For these, and her many other accomplishments, The Children's Circle of Friends Foundation is honored to present Judge Theresa Dellick its 2017 Crystal Health Award.