Service Available

Types of Services Available to Veterans

  • Assistance in making application for claims/benefits administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs
Our Service Officers are highly trained and professional.  They are strong advocates that serve as an essential link between the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans of Mahoning County.  Our Service Officers assist veterans who may need help filing claims such as:
    • Service Connected Compensation
    • Non-service connected pension
    • Survivors (widows) benefits
    • Researching and obtaining DD-214's
    • Applying for federal burial benefits
    • Second and Fourth Monday - Trauma Team representative is available on site
If you are a veteran or a dependent of a veteran(living or deceased) and believe you have a claim for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs, we encourage you to call our office to speak with a Service Officer.

  • Emergency Financial Assistance (Administered by the Mahoning County Veterans Service Commission)
  • Information and guidance in obtaining aid from various federal, state, and local organizations
  • Transportation for medical treatment to Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center
    • We have bus transportation for veterans with medical appointments at the Louis Stokes VA medical facility.  
    • Monday-Friday (excluding legal holidays). 
    • Seats are limited and are scheduled on a first come, first seated basis.
  • Grave Markers, Flag holders and Flags
  • Memorial Day Ceremonies
  • Utility Assistance - Seasonal - This program is reviewed annually
    • Household income must be below guidelines
    • Liquid assets not more than $25,000
    • Utility bills must be in Veterans or spouses name•Must apply for HEAP and Ohio Energy Credit
    • Must apply for Home Weatherization Program
  • Burial Program
  • Nursing Home Outreach - If you are a war time Veteran or the spouse of a war time veteran in a nursing home, you could be eligible for Department of Veterans Affairs benefits.  We have a Nursing Home Outreach person in the office available to answer your questions.
  • Military Injury Relief Fund (MIRF) - Monetary compensation for injured veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
  • War Orphans Scholarships - The Ohio War Orphans Scholarship Program awards tuition assistance to the children of deceased or severely disabled Ohio veterans who served in the armed forces during a period of declared war or conflict.