Assist veterans, their spouse, widow, children, parents, and dependents of veterans in presenting claims for benefits from Department of Veterans Affairs and the State of Ohio; Obtain temporary financial assistance as outlined in Title 59 of the Ohio Revised Code; Network with other public and private agencies; Provide daily transportation for veterans to both Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Facilities in Cleveland and Parma, Ohio and The Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky. Ensure each Mahoning County veteran's grave is marked.
What We Do
- Assist residents in applying for disability compensation, pension, burial, education and home loan benefits.
- The Mahoning County Veterans Service Commission (VSC), established under Title 59 of the Ohio Revised Code, is dedicated to advising and assisting veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States, their spouses, children, parents, and dependents of veterans in presenting claims and obtaining rights and/or benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs of the State of Ohio. Several staff members continue to be accredited to present claims before the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Administer a temporary relief program.
- This Commission provides temporary financial assistance to needy veterans, their spouse, surviving spouse, parent, minor child, or the ward of a veteran as outlined in Title 59 of the Ohio Revised Code. To be eligible for services, the veteran must be discharged under honorable conditions with at least 90 days active service - this does not include active duty training, unless discharged sooner by proper authority. Claimants must be a resident of Mahoning County for at least three months prior to application for assistance and meet eligibility otherwise.
- Provide transportation to VAMC Cleveland.
- The VSC offers daily transportation for eligible veterans to the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Facilities in Cleveland and Parma, Ohio. This Service is offered to veterans who schedule through the VSC. Please remember that seats are on a first scheduled, first serviced basis.
- Participate in patriotic observances.
- The VSC also assists the Mahoning County Veterans Organizations with their Memorial Day programs each year.
- Assist eligible clients in nursing homes with applying for VA benefits.
- The VSC assists veterans, their spouse (or surviving spouse) residing in a Nursing Homes in obtaining financial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Veteran Service Commission is fully funded by Mahoning County Property Taxes.